Monday, April 16, 2012

Road Rash

It was going to happen - Anika would fall on the sidewalk. I still was not prepared when that day came and I am not ready for it to happen again. Ever.

Friday, my mom was here so Kevin and I could go to a talk given by Ghandi's grandson. Anika was running toward me, hands full of plastic shovels and she tripped on her slipper sock. Since she couldn't catch herself with her hands, she caught her herself with her face and her legs flipped over her head into the rocks.

It did not happen in slow motion it just happened.

I quickly scooped her up and almost had a panic attack myself and made a beeline for a nuk and a place to hold and rock her.

My mom explained the signs of a concussion (Anika did not have one) and to counseled me on heading straight to the ER (no need). Thank you mom. How would I parent if I did not have such a great support system?

In a few hours Anika was acting normal again and the crisis was over - at least for now. Even with multiple applications of wheat germ oil, her face is going to take a lot longer to heal.

No comments: